Sunday, January 8, 2012

Restaurant Santa Cecilia - Mariachi Plaza

A short trek from Downtown LA, Santa Cecilia sits on Mariachi Plaza on 1st St and Boyle Ave. This small shack boasts big things all day long, from chilaquiles to tasty tacos. Open 7 days a week, you should be able to make any excuse to come nosh on some very delicious (and authentic) Mexican Fare. "¿Que quieres mija?" she asks as I walk in the metal gate. I feel as if I am home when I see the giant refrigerator full of glass bottled soda. I order my usual, two al pastor tacos and one tripas taco. The tortillas are not from a bag, they are from her hands. She makes them every morning and the love you taste in each of them really makes the taco better. I sit at the metal counter on the side of the eatery and take in the atmosphere. You can hear people chatting and playing cards on their back patio. Then suddenly my tacos are presented before me. A beautiful pile of meat, onions, cilantro and salsa.


I chose salsa roja for the al pastor tacos. The al pastor was so tender, juicy and flavorful. It all tasted very fresh and the spice was just perfect. I will almost always save the tripas for last, and this meal is no exception. The tripas were so perfectly prepared, crispy, chewy goodness slathered in salsa verde. If you aren't as adventurous as I am, and you don't think you can stomach tripas, they have a wide array of other meats that are just as delicious.

If you buy three tacos, and show them your metro pass, they'll give you one for free. No foolin'.

Restaurant Santa Cecilia
1707 Mariachi Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90033
(323) 980-0716
Exit Metro Gold Line at Mariachi Plaza


No comments:

Post a Comment